Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Profile of Cathy Payson in Interweave KNITS


Hey Y'all,
The most recent issue of Interweave KNITS magazine came out a little while back and I'm happy to report I've got a story in this issue. Eunny Jang, the editor, asked me to interview the wonderful knit designer, Cathy Payson. As luck would have it, Cathy and I were both at Market in January so I had the great pleasure of meeting her in person. (Thank you Suzanne-- for taking me to Market!) Cathy is so rocking, and so down to earth. Her designs lean toward easy and simple with a twist-- she likes to add in some details that make for a very styling garment. Her philosophy is that not all of use have hours every day to dedicate to our knitting, and/or to dedicate to really complicated patterns. (Hear! Hear!)

While I was at Market, I also hung out with my pal, Lisa Evans, who is also a designer (best known for her intricate color work). Lisa hosts an annual knitting retreat, Knitting and Yoga Adventures, each September on Monhegan Island, twelve miles off the coast of Maine. I've had the indescribably fantastic pleasure of spending the last two retreats with Lisa, blogging all about our knitting, hiking, yoga, and evening laughfests by the fire. (Last year, they even got me to put on enough makeup that I looked like a very bad drag queen.) If my kooky schedule allows, I'm planning to head back to the island this September. And guess what? Cathy Payson is one of the guest teachers this year. Really, if you can make it, you should join us. The island is gorgeous, the views are breathtaking, and you can stay as busy (or not) as you like.

In the meanwhile, I hope you'll stop by the shop and pick up the new Interweave KNITS and read my interview with Cathy. And while you're at it, there are plenty of other good magazines, too. Look for the display on the desk where you check out.

Spike

No comments: