Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tease, Tease, Tease! (Yarn Crawl Preview)


Y'all!
If you haven't signed up for the upcoming Yarn Crawl you better hurry up and do so. Last week, I took a little road trip out to Wimberley and, while I was out there, I stopped at the Old Oaks Ranch Yarn Store, which is a stop on the crawl. In truth, I'd never heard of the place, but I was down at HCW chatting with Suzanne, and I mentioned I was heading out that way, and she told me about OOR so I decided to pop by.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! You pull onto the property by making a left at the Alpaca yard. Yep, that's right, owner Sue Ellen Stavrand has a nice little herd out there, including baby Roosevelt, who is a little on the bleat-y side right now as he is being weaned. (Sue Ellen bottle fed him from birth, after his poor mama died.) I wish I had a herd of my own-- those guys are so cute with their fluffy hair, which Sue Ellen sends off to be spun into yarn which she sells at the store. She's got lots of other goodies, too. Like HCW, OOR is for knitters and weavers. There's a great Loom Room, a nice big retail area, and a little gathering room in the back, too. Oh, and there's some cool art, too. I saw a felted copy of Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night.





I took the outside tour, too. As it happens, there's a sculpture garden on the property! Big rock sculptures and bronze stuff, too. There's work from artists including: Josh Tobey, Kevin Box, Carol Savid, Casey Horn and lots of others. You can sit and knit out there amidst all the art and natural beauty-- I hope to go back soon and do just that.

Below are some more pics from my excellent adventure-- but first, let me remind you, OOR is but ONE stop on the Yarn Crawl. There are lots of others, too, including our own beloved HCW.

Sue Ellen hard at work.

Felted Starry Starry Night.

Alpaca yarn from Sue Ellen's herd.


Rock sculpture waterfall.

3 comments:

indigo warrior said...

I wonder if the bunnies will be in residence? Last time I was there we got to see the alpacas, a llama, and a donkey(?). The bunnies, sadly for us, but probably not them, were out to stud. (c:

themagicalbean said...

I can't wait! I have never been here either...three more days!

Anne Sockwell said...

Thank you for your shout-out, Spike! We are thrilled that you came out our way and shared so many pictures of the ranch. You gave us a glowing review and glowing smiles! Loved meeting you and can't wait to see you again. Thanks and hugs, gal!
Sue Ellen, Sandra, Anne, Dawn, Cary, Dawnette and Tracy at Old Oaks Ranch