Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Let's Talk About Socks, Baby.


I love making socks. Love love love it. There are many reasons. Here are a few:

1) When you get to the part where you're using five needles (if, like me, you're a DP sock knitter) you look like the offspring of a rocket scientist and a brain surgeon. (Actually, knitting socks on two circulars also gives onlookers a pretty impressive view.)

2) Despite how tricky socks look on the needles, in fact, once you get the hang of them, they're really not hard.

3) There is a certain satisfaction unique to finishing a pair of socks. You made two. They (hopefully) match somewhat. And they look great.

4) There are infinite variations.

5) On a personal note, sock knitting was the first knitting class I ever took and this, in turn, not only got me over my fear-of-socks, it got me over my fear-of-classes. I've gone on to take so many classes and every time I leave feeling so psyched with my latest new set of skills.

6) As a lot of us hardcore-even-in-the-summer knitters will tell you, because they are so small, manageable, and portable, socks really beat the heck out of knitting, say, a king-sized afghan in this triple digit heat.

I could go on, but you get the idea. I was thinking about socks today because I just got the HCW email announcing the Sock Yarn Tasting (details below) and the reminder that Cookie A, sock knitter extraordinaire, is coming to town soon to teach some classes. I'm going to try to track down Cookie and hopefully she'll have time enough to put down her needles for a little bit and answer some of my questions about her specialty. I'll keep you posted on that front. Meanwhile, if you want to attend the Sock Yarn Tasting-- which, for the record, you don't even need to be a sock knitter (yet)-- it's a steal at five bucks. But we do need you to RSVP because space is limited. So, here's what you need to know:

Sunday, July 12
11 a.m.–1 p.m.
$5 fee
RSVP: 512-707-7396

At a yarn tasting, you get to knit with a swatch-sized amount of several different kinds of yarn. We will supply the yarn and some tasty refreshments. Bring yourself and needles or hooks-- crocheters welcome!-- in several sizes that are appropriate for socks (needles in sizes 0-3 and/or hooks in sizes B-D).

Also, if you are ready to learn socks, register for our Sox on Two Circulars class, which meets on Saturday, July 11 from 1-4 p.m. Or, sign up for our Coffee Cup Cozy – 3 Ways class, which meets just after the yarn tasting (1-2:30). There, you will learn how to knit socks – or any other small project that is knit in the round – using three different methods: double-pointed needles, two circulars, and magic loop.

No comments: